The Facts - Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) | Brown & Cockerill Estate Agents | Property Experts in Rugby

Design Build has many year’s experience providing domestic EPC’s to a number of clients including estate agents, solicitors, landlords, facilities managers, and general members of the public.  We cover London and surrounding areas and our prices start at £39.99 inc VAT.

What is an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate is a statutory document which became a regulatory requirement in April 2008 for all domestic properties in England and Wales, whenever sold, built or rented.

The EPC tell owners and potential buyers/tenants of properties about the energy efficiency of a building, the EPC provides an asset rating for a building which is based on the potential performance of that building against government benchmarks and shows how the asset rating can be improved if all the recommendations are followed. Ratings are represented with a chart with grades from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most energy efficient and ‘G’ is the least. This allows potential buyers or tenants to see information on the energy efficiency of the property so they can consider all factors into their financial expenditure after moving in.

Do I need an EPC?

If you are selling or letting your property then the answer is yes.  You are also required to obtain an EPC if you have built a new home.

There are some exceptions to the rule and these include the following:
•    Temporary buildings that will be used less than 2 years.
•    Some buildings that are due to be demolished
•    Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year, or is let under a license to occupy.
•    Some listed buildings

What does it involve?

An accredited energy assessor will need to visit your property and conduct a visual survey, which should normally take less than an hour.  The DEA will then need to obtain the following information:
•    Measurements
•    Building fabric such as construction of walls and roof.
•    Signs of cavity wall or loft insulation
•    Boiler type and fuel used
•    Energy saving devices
•    Heating systems and controls

The survey is based purely on a visual inspection, so if you have systems such as underfloor heating etc which you would like included into the final EPC, the assessor will require documentation to prove such like is in place.